Sunday, October 2, 2011

Leah and Eric's Wedding, Stafford Virginia Wedding Photographer

The Uninvited Guest

Leah and Eric Lewis - August 27, 2011

 

Maybe our photography consultation was an omen to what was going to happen.   To the guest we never wanted to see.  To the guest no one wanted to see.  Hurricane Irene.

Our attempts at the photography consultation were a whirlwind, so to speak.  First we rescheduled, almost rescheduled again, then on a whim, met up outdoors for our consultation.  That was a first for me.  Sample wedding albums in tow, we finally connected at Gari Melcher's Belmont.  I knew immediately after hearing the details of the wedding that I wanted to shoot this event.  It was going to be awesome and awesome it was!

Leah planned each detail to be unique and gorgeous.  I wanted to be there and see it all.  From the Maggie-Sottero dress, lily of the valley boutonniere, beautiful floral accents, to the cheese smorgasbord, this wedding was unique.  That’s not even taking into account the hurricane!










Although some things did not go as planned, it all turned out beautiful.  I count the blessings.  There were couples whose weddings had to be cancelled altogether.  The venue locations were evacuated.  I cannot even imagine that scenario but fortunately, we only had to change our plans from outdoor photos to indoor photos (well....sort of).  There was a little excitement at the reception but we will get to that later.

Leah and Eric chose to do a "first look," which is when the bride and groom see each other prior to the ceremony.  This moment is done with just the two of them.  We planned to photograph it outside at Gari Melcher's Belmont, where the reception was being held.  With Irene making waves that was not going to happen.  Leah was able to arrange usage of The Kenmore Inn for portraits.  Thank goodness!












I admire Leah's appreciation of history and culture.  At every reception table she used a piece of artwork painted by Gari Melcher.  



Leah is a specialty cheese buyer. She gets paid to travel to Europe, taste and purchase some of the finest cheese. Naturally, she opted for a fruit and cheese cocktail hour like none I've ever seen.



At this point is where things got interesting....  The power went out.  
Richard from Richard Green Entertainment approached me to say hello.  I've worked several events with Richard and think he is a great disc jockey; professional, fun and just all around excellent at the job.  We were hopeful the electricity was going to come right back on.  Then that sinking feeling started to settle in.  It's was out for the night.  Introductions into the reception had not even started.  I could still take pictures but playing music without power was not exactly an option.  I think I was still in disbelief when he was making calls and talking to venue managers.  Fortunately, Richard has a voice that carries.  He proceeded with introductions and you barely noticed there wasn't a microphone. 
Just when I thought that the electricity would put a damper on the entertainment, I realized there needed to be power for the dinner service.  Oh no...things did not look good. I felt terrible for Leah and Eric's dream of their perfect reception. And for her mother, whose heart looked broken.  Was this really happening???  I wanted the best for them, for their day. 

Then the clouds parted and the sun shined!  Well, not outside but on the dance floor!!!  Richard had done some magic and gotten a portable generator.  Lights beamed on the dance floor, greetings were made and music played.  I breathed a sigh of relief.  Whew...!!!



Now onto the dinner issue.  Anne from R & R Catering seemed like everything was just fine and it was!  The meals were prepared just prior to the power outage and if they served them up promptly, dinner would be great.  I couldn't believe it.  Leah was fortunate to hire such an amazing catering staff.  The wait staff had to go up and down a flight of stairs with flashlights to see their way.  No one noticed or even knew how challenging the task of dinner service had become. 


The cake was gorgeous and made at The Icing in Stafford.  I don't see the cake vendors often but kudos to them for getting the cake to the reception in the wind and pouring rain!




I was so pleased by how well the vendors were handling the challenges of the hurricane.  Seeing it all come together really gave me a great feeling.  I was so excited that not even a hurricane was going to ruin this day for them.  I know that everyone says, it's not about the wedding itself but about the couple getting married.  While this is true, the couple who have dreamt of their celebration and made the financial investment want it to be perfect.  They want to have fun!
To Leah and Eric, may this be the biggest hurricane life brings your way and if it's not, then may you handle it with the same grace, dignity and determination that you did this one.   If I could go back and change anything about this wedding, I wouldn't!  It was one of the most amazing, happy, exciting events and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  Thank you for letting me be a part of this unforgettable day.  Best of wishes to you both!


A very special thank you to Karin Griffin of Red Chestnut Photography for 2nd shooting this wedding with me. She sewed up a ripped brides maids dress, captured some of the only cake cutting images and best of all....grabbed the camera that I had left behind. You were a tremendous support and I was so happy to have you with me on this day. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!



3 comments:

  1. I love this post... like, I reallly love it. It kept me drawn in!! The pics are fabulous!! GREAT job, Heather... and what an amazing day for the couple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah and Eric's Wedding looks amazing. I am just in love with the details from their beautiful ceremony. We hosted our beautiful barn themed wedding party at the outdoor venue NYC and we paid dearly for it. Everything was super enjoyable so everything was worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A business has posted a spam comment to this blog post. The link in the comment goes to a website that submits over 100 comments per day to blogspot sites with a link to their site as an opportunity to make their site look more popular to search engines like google. If you read the comment and look at the link they inserted, you will notice it is not helpful to your readers and it doesn't even make sense to be linked other than for their own business needs. If you would like to mark it as spam to prevent them from using you, follow the instructions here: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/187141?hl=en

    ReplyDelete